9 October 2006

Roast Poussin with Rosemary and Garlic Potato Wedges


Since Lundulph keeps asking for roasted animals, I thought I'd make something more special. Well, there was also a special offer in Sainsbury's.

So I got two poussins, ready for roasting.

Roast poussins

2 small onions
2 large cloves of garlic
a bunch of fresh thyme
dried sage
2 handfuls of grape seed oil

  1. Turn on the oven at 190 degrees C/gas mark 3.
  2. Peel and chop the onion coarsely.
  3. Peel and crush the garlic, what I did was just squash it with the side of the kitchen knife.
  4. Stuff each poussin with an onion, garlic, thyme and sage.
  5. For each bird, pour a small amout of oil into your hand, then rub in the bird all over. I left the skin on, even if it had some hairs and feathers still left on it.
  6. Place on a roasting grill and place in the oven to cook for 50 minutes.
When I got the birds out, the skin was very crispy and the feathers and hairs seemed to have disappeared. Also they were very juicy, so careful when carving. But then I covered them with aluminium foil, while the rest of the dinner was getting ready and this was a mistake - the skins went soggy, so the birds shouldn't be left to stand after they are done. Well, unless there is a trick to make the skin remain crispy. I don't like the skin, so I don't mind, but I think Lundulph was a bit disappointed.

Also the onions weren't cooked, but were rather crunchy, I guess this is due to the short baking time of he poussins.

Rosemary and garlic potato wedges

1.5 kg potatoes with firm waxy flesh
water
1.5 dl grape seed oil
3 tbsp dried rosemary
3 large cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
  1. Wash the potatoes well, peel if the skin is thick, then cut into wedges, where the thickest part is no more than 1 cm wide.
  2. Place in a pot and boil for about 7-10 minutes.
  3. In the mean time, pour the oil in a bowl and add the spices, press in the garlic and let infuse until the potatoes are ready.
  4. When the potatoes have cooked for 7-10 minutes, drain well, then turn over onto a deepish baking tray.
  5. Distribute the infused oil, then stir the wedges around so all get well coated with the oil.
  6. Bake until ready, about 40 minutes, e. g. together with the poussins, in which case place then under the birds.
In addition to that, I did Yorkshire puddings (Delia Smith's recipe from her Complete Cookery Course book), steamed some broccoli and made Bisto chicken gravy - 6 heaped tsp to 280 ml.

Note: I used a mix of potatoes, since I had some left over from earlier: King Edward, Vivaldi and Anya. Both King Edward and Vivaldi were great, but the Anya were a bit too hard, so don't use for baking/roasting.

No comments: