10 February 2007

Tomato Sauce

Today is general cooking day, so that we have a variety of dishes to eat during the week, without having to cook them after a long day at work.

So I made a pizza this morning, a bean soup is on it's last 15 minutes and I'll make a crumble pie in a moment.

The pizza is the recipe I posted earlier, but like never before, I took the time to make a tomato sauce, rather than just blend the tomatoes.

Ingredients

2 small onions
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (400 g) tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
salt, black pepper, oregano, sage, thyme, crushed dried chilies (optional)


Method
  1. Peel and chop the onions and fry on low heat in the oil, press in the garlic.
  2. Blend the tomatoes and add them to the onions, when they have become translucent.
  3. Add the tomato purée and the spices and leave uncovered to simmer on low heat until it thickens. I didn't time it, but I think it cooked for about 25 minutes.
I made the pizza dough in the bread machine and brushed the pan with vegetable oil before I put the dough in. Then I brushed the dough with oil again before I put on the tomato sauce. This way, the dough didn't go soggy.

The good thing about this sauce is that you can add finely diced potatoes to it and it makes a very nice sauce for Bulgarian meatballs.

No comments: