9 October 2013

Cinnamon Bun Day Once Again

IMG_3285

Yes, yesterday was Cinnamon Bun Day once again and having recently watched the Hairy Bikers' show Bakeation, I decided to try out a new shape for the lovelies. In fact, my Mum described the method to me as well. There is a snippet of the method on youtube even.

IMG_3279

As the recipe I made the other year was so successful, I decided to make it again. The only change is that I used golden syrup instead of white sugar syrup/glucose. I was hoping to get a sweeter dough, but oddly enough I didn't notice any difference. I also used fresh yeast, 40 g of it. I was hoping to let the dough rise in the fridge for several hours, but despite the fridge being unusually cold, the dough made an attempt to escape after just over 3 hours, so I dropped what I was doing and cracked on with the baking. I'll need to reduce the yeast to maybe 25 g next time.

IMG_3280

One important thing to keep in mind is that the filling was a bit too much for the twisted knot shapes and quite a lot of it oozed out during baking. Watching the video again, it doesn't show clearly how much topping they put on either, but a little less than the amount for swirls.

IMG_3281

I baked the buns in fan assisted mode, so the oven was set at 190 °C and the buns took 18 - 19 minutes. Most pleasing was the fact that they had baked underneath as well, not like in the evil old oven.

IMG_3282

The same amount resulted in 26 huge buns. Definitely café sized and I didn't bother with paper cases either. So one bun would pretty much work as a meal on its own... Due to their size, I could only fit 6 on a baking tray and as they are fairly quick to make, I was worried that most of them would over-proof by the time they would go in the oven, so I kept trays 1 and 2 at room temperature and the rest went in the fridge to slow them down a bit. This worked rather well in preventing over-proofing, but had no effect on the oozing out of the filling.

IMG_3284

No comments: