15 March 2015

Another Cookie Press Fun Evening

Not only was it fun to use my new cookie press, I'm quite pleased that my Mum's also re-discovered how much fun it is too. But she opted for savoury versions with different types of cheese. In fact, for her birthday she made so many, I wouldn't be surprised they'll eat them for weeks to come. To begin with, my Dad had been very suspicious about them, but then ended up eating 6 in one go and my Mum had to hide the box.

IMG_4565

However, in my searches to find a recipe for my Mum, I came across this one which seemed to be a bit less unhealthy than many others and I decided to make a batch and take to work as thank you to some of my colleagues.

Ingredients

Makes about 80

115 g unsalted butter at room temperature
1.2 dl + 3 tbsp icing sugar
0.6 dl + 3 tbsp corn flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp lime zest
a pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut milk drink
2.4 dl + 3 tbsp wholemeal flour
colourful sugar sprinkles

Method

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 °C fan and place 3 cookie trays in the freezer to chill.
  2. In a large bowl, add the butter, icing sugar and corn flour and whisk together. The mixture should be crumbly.
  3. Next add the vanilla, lime zest and salt and whisk until well combined.
  4. Add the coconut milk drink, followed by the wholemeal flour a little at a time.
  5. Fill up the cookie press and stamp away onto one of the chilled trays, straight onto it, without lining or greasing.
  6. Sprinkle colourful sugar sprinkles and bake for 10 minutes until the cookies just begin to get some colour.
  7. Repeat until all the dough has been used up. You might need to place the cookie trays back in the freezer and use again.
  8. Once the cookies are out of the oven, transfer to a cooling rack.
  9. Store in an air-tight box.

Now, I had to convert the amounts from American to metric and I thought I'd weigh everything while I was at it, but I kept forgetting to include the additional tablespoons when weighing, so will have to weigh again next time. This of course meant I had to add things as I realised I'd forgotten them, so frankly the above instructions can probably be boiled down to "mix everything together, add the wholemeal flour at the end".

The dough was sweeter than the previous recipe I used, but adding the sugar sprinkles made them just right and they were well popular at work - people had seconds and thirds. There were still a few to take home and Lundulph was massively pleased.
IMG_4564

And I have ideas for next time - swap the butter for coconut oil to make completely vegan and also swap some of the wholemeal flour with ground nuts. And perhaps skip the sprinkles and dip in chocolate.

No comments: